Thursday, February 26, 2015

As a portrait artist, pricing drawings can be so subjective. Sometimes people are shocked at how little I charge. Other times, they wonder how I could charge so much when it "can't take me THAT long to draw or paint a portrait." I just found this anecdote on weddingportraitphotographer.com and had to share it.

 Legend has it that Pablo Picasso was sketching in the park when a bold woman approached him. “It’s you — Picasso, the great artist! Oh, you must sketch my portrait! I insist.” 

 So Picasso agreed to sketch her. After studying her for a moment, he used a single pencil stroke to create her portrait. He handed the woman his work of art. 

 “It’s perfect!” she gushed. “You managed to capture my essence with one stroke, in one moment. Thank you! How much do I owe you?” 

 “Five thousand dollars,” the artist replied.

“B-b-but, what?” the woman sputtered. “How could you want so much money for this picture? It only took you a second to draw it!” 

 To which Picasso responded, “Madame, it took me my entire life.” -Ellen Rohr

No comments:

Post a Comment